Even before everything became virtual, law students and advocates communicated via email. While there are conventional methods of writing an email for conducting business, there are certain aspects of etiquette which are often overlooked by the legal fraternity. Often these conversations hold a binding authority and are the basis for client-attorney confidentiality.
Therefore, it is important to be professional and ethical when communicating through e-mails when talking to clients, seniors or colleagues. In this article, we lay down some pointers that might be useful under such circumstances.
● Keep it brief: One of the significant factors that could improve the content of a professional email is keeping it short and to the point. Nobody likes to read more than they absolutely need to, especially when the material relates to business matters.
● The email’s subject must be descriptive: At the first instance, the receiver always looks at the subject of the email. Thus, it is very important to make sure that the subject defines the content of the email in a summarised manner so as to convey the matter to the recipient.
● Be punctual: Addressing anyone’s concerns or your own in a timely manner is noted and appreciated during the course of business. Time is of the essence for everyone and it is necessary to make sure we are not unresponsive during an important conversation.
● Do a spelling and grammar check: There are many ways a person can identify any grammatical mistakes made in their email. You could run it through an online service which is usually free of cost and very helpful for making your content error-free.
● Be mindful of the recipients: In many instances, an email is sent to more than one person. During such a situation, it is important to check who must be put under ‘To’, ‘Bcc’ and ‘Cc’ since the email could be full of sensitive information relating to a client or to a law firm.
To sum up, when dealing with professionals it is only logical to be professional and make a ever lasting impression. In today’s world, where emails are the most widely used source of communication for business, it is imperative to know how one can write it in a formal and suitable manner. Hopefully, these suggestions will help you achieve the professionalism an email requires in the usual course of business.